A black-and-white photograph with subsequent hand colouring showing the main entrance of the Sōfukuji Temple 崇福寺 in Nagasaki. This is a Chinese Buddhist temple founded in 1624 by the priest Shin’en 真円, or Zhenyuan in Chinese. The city of Nagasaki was the only port accessible to foreigners during the Edo period (1603–1867). Alma Karlin travelled by ship from Nagasaki to Busan in Korea.
Manufacturing technique: coloured print
Inscription: 長崎崇福寺山門 Nagasaki Sōfukuji sanmon (Gate to the v Sōfukuji temple in Nagasaki) The Main Gate of Sohfukuji Temple, Nagasaki.
No. of parts: 1
Current owner: Celje Regional Museum
Date of the last acquisition: 1957–1960
Previous owners and periods of ownership: Alma M. Karlin (from year 1950)| Thea Schreiber Gammelin (from year 1950 to year 1957)| Celje Regional Museum (from year 1957)
Object condition, handling and damage: well preserved
Press releases: Shigemori Bučar, Chikako. “Alma M. Karlin’s Visits to Temples and Shrines in Japan". Poligrafi 93/94, volume 24 (2019).
Other objects in this collection