A black-and-white photograph shows the Buddhist temple Shitennōji 四天王寺 in Ōsaki. It is one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Japan, founded by Prince Shōtoku 聖徳太子 in 593, who originally belonged to the Tendai 天台宗 sect.
Workshop / factory / publisher: KURIMOTO & CO.
Place of manufacture: Ōsaka
Manufacturing technique: black-and-white print
Inscription: Shitennoji (Temple), Osaka 四天王寺 （大阪）
No. of parts: 1
Current owner: Celje Regional Museum
Date of the last acquisition: 1957–1960
Previous owners and periods of ownership: Alma M. Karlin (from year 1950)| Thea Schreiber Gammelin (from year 1950 to year 1957)| Celje Regional Museum (from year 1957)
Object condition, handling and damage: well preserved
Press releases: Shigemori Bučar, Chikako. “Alma M. Karlin’s Visits to Temples and Shrines in Japan". Poligrafi 93/94, volume 24 (2019).
Other objects in this collection