A black-and-white photograph showing a main street in one of the three parts of imperial Beijing, the Outer City (Waicheng 外城), which was located in the southern part of the city. It was separated by a wall from the Inner City (Neicheng 内城), which surrounded the famous Forbidden City (Gugong 故宫 or Zijincheng 紫禁城). We see stores and restaurants with traditional wooden façades, passers-by and a group of rickshaws in the background.
The photograph is the fourth of 449 photographs of Beijing and its surroundings in the album of Ivan Skušek Jr., purchased during his stay in Beijing (1914–1920). In the handwritten inventory of the album, the photograph is referred to as Hauptstrasse der Chinesenstadt. (DZ)